Discount cards are an ideal fundraising idea for clubs, sports teams or large non-profit groups. They are easy to sell and provide great value for buyers too.
Discount Card Fundraising Companies
If you don’t have time to organize your own discount card fundraiser, you can buy pre-made cards from fundraising companies. These cards have special offers for national stores and restaurants, so they will appeal to your buyers.
Some things to look out for:
- How much profit do you get to keep?
- Is there a bulk discount?
- Do you have to pay in advance?
- What stores are included on the card?
D-I-Y Discount Card Fundraising
Creating your own discount card can lead to greater profits for your group, with less risk involved. Talk to local stores about offering a discount for your purchasers — typically a percentage off the sale, or a free item with a minimum purchase amount. Get each agreement in writing, and keep communicating with the stores throughout the process; they’ll need to know what the cards look like, and how many you expect to sell.
Here are some tips for talking to local stores:
- Advertising – Each card sold will feature that store’s information on it.
- Guaranteed foot traffic – This is especially useful during slow shopping periods.
- Guaranteed sales – Create an offer that requires a minimum purchase, such as a “buy one, get one free” offer. This way, the store makes a sale with each deal too.
Discount Card Sales Tips
Once you have your cards, all you have to do is sell them! Choose a price that will benefit both your non-profit group and your buyer. Prominently display the overall savings too: If your buyers were to use every offer, how much money would they save? Contrast this with the purchase price of the card and the value is easy to spot.
The sponsoring stores can get involved selling your discount cards too. They’re an instant discount for their in-store shoppers, plus a nice donation for your fundraising cause. Everybody wins!